Once upon a time, bad news only existed in the newspapers and the evening news. Lately, bad news has a face that I recognise. I recently heard about a horrible incident involving an acquaintance. I was pretty ticked off at the futility and helplessness of the situation and I struggled to find the silver lining.
Anger clouded my attempts at positivity, but I was determined to crawl out of my foul mood. I revisited my 30 Things That Make Me Smile post and thought to myself – surely, there are more than 30 things in my life that make me happy???
Let me tell you, it wasn’t as easy as it was the first time around. I was in a pretty upbeat mood when I wrote that other post. Turns out, trying to be happy when severely pissed off is quite the challenge. I persevered though and found myself giggling. Eventually.
*drum roll please*
- The sound of my mother, sister and I laughing together.
- Reminiscing about my dad.
- Coconut trees.
- The perfect mango starch.
- Hugs from that guy whose smell intoxicates me.
- Kissing (I’m going to assume that this is on everybody’s feel-good list).
- Late night phone calls with that special someone.
- Goofy “wefies” with my people.
- Knowing that my people read my blog.
- The way my dogs greet me after I’ve been gone for a couple of hours.
- The way my dogs carry on with their lives after the euphoria of not seeing me for a couple of hours has dissipated.
- Idris Elba.
- That scene from Bruce Almighty where Bruce makes Evan Baxter spew gibberish. “…and my tiny little nipples went to France.”
- The Golden Girls.
- A new toothbrush.
- Plucking strands of grey hair. One day, I won’t be able to get them all, but today is not that day!
- My tattoos.
- Photos of melted cheese.
- Jalapeño Chee Zees.
- Random compliments from strangers.
- Doling out compliments to strangers.
- Bath and Body Works’ Winter Candy Apple fine fragrance mist.
- Getting to the next level on Candy Crush Soda Saga.
- My Santa Claus socks.
- Hummingbird sightings.
- When the cashier doesn’t have change for my $100 bill and a woman I don’t know gives me the $5 that I need to complete my purchase. #truestory
- Hitting “publish” on a new blog post.
Here’s to you always finding reasons to smile when you don’t feel much like smiling.